Jo has created up to date, relevant and easy to access content for a number of sites, publications and resources. Just follow the links to see some of the work for yourself:
Blogging for the Huffington Post
Blogging for Guardian Cultural Professionals Network
Essays illustrating the Creative Case
Web articles for Arts Council England illustrating the Creative Case through the work of disabled artists.
The most recent in an ongoing series of reviews of work.
Impact Report for Caroline Bowditch’s role as Scottish Dance Theatre’s Dance Agent for Change. This role was created out of the Dance and Disability in Scotland report Jo authored for Scottish Arts Council, reviewing the state of play throughout the country in 2007.
Report: Disability and the Dance and Drama Awards
Original report into dance and drama training options for disabled people which kick started a wide number of supportive schemes to develop inclusivity in performing arts training in the UK (commissioned by the Department for Education and Employment). This research was updated within the Disability Access Review of the Dance and Drama Providers in 2007.
Guidance on Disability Access
A manual designed for the providers of Dance and Drama Award bursaries covering all aspects of Disability Equality in relation to high level dance and drama training, funded by the Learning and Skills Council, now housed at YPLA. Originally produced as a hard print version, this could originally be downloaded in 7 parts (as pdfs). Sadly, only two of the links currently work – but I’m looking into it.
- Introduction: Explains why this guide has been created, giving some of the background to the rise of the inclusion agenda and explores the different ways of looking at disability.
- The Basics Gives information on the Disability Discrimination Act, statistics and definitions around disability. It ends with suggestions for disability etiquette and language.
- Access to your Training Looks at creating access to selection and audition procedures and teaching, including information on how to work with facilitators and managing health and safety concerns.
- Reaching Disabled People Provides guidance on how to reach out to people to ensure that they know about your school, and on how to make standard print materials and websites more accessible.
- Physical Access Looks at physical access provisions and access audits. It lists contacts and resources that might be useful for DaDA providers looking to undertake physical renovation.
- Employment Provides guidance on how to ensure that the employment practices comply with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act legislation.
- Support, resources and contacts Comprehensive listings of books, videos and courses that might be of use to people working in dance, drama and stage management/technical theatre which addresses issues of access inclusion and disability.
- Appendices A glossary of frequently used terms, a checklist to help develop Disability Action Plans and specific information and guidance on working with people with visual impairments, hearing impairments and mental health needs.
A pdf resource for arts organisations based in Scotland covering all aspects of inclusive practice, crammed with case studies and examples from around Scotland, funded by the Scottish Arts Council and still available on the archive site following their closure and the creation of Creative Scotland.
A website to support arts organisations in England create disability action plans, based on a four year programme across the south east supporting regularly funded organisations. The four year programme, and the website, were funded by Arts Council England, South East.